Due to budget constraints, the Association for Research on Mothering (ARM) will close on May 1, 2010. The Toronto, Canada-based organization — and the first international feminist organization devoted to mothering/motherhood — has been affiliated with York University’s Women’s Studies program since its inception in 1998.
In 1999, ARM launched the Journal of the Association for Research on Mothering (JARM), and in 2006, created Demeter Press, a peer-reviewed scholarly press devoted specifically to the topics of mothering and motherhood. At this writing, Demeter Press will continue operations. Click here to visit the new website and view the latest catalog.
In a March 2nd letter posted on the ARM website, Dr. Andrea O’Reilly, founder and director, announced that:
* No further issues of JARM will be published and 2010 subscriptions will be reimbursed. Individual copies of past issues will be available through the website until May 1st.
* The April 8th conference at Simone de Beauvoir Institute in Montreal will proceed as scheduled, however the May 20th conference at Nola Studios in New York City and the October conference at York University have been cancelled.
She also asks for help:
* Purchase books from Demeter Press.
* Write a letter of support to university officials. (Find names and addresses here and on the Facebook page noted below.)
* Join the Friends of The Association for Research on Mothering group on Facebook.
* Contact Kate Sanagan (firstname.lastname@example.org) to learn about fundraising efforts.
Further updates will be posted on the ARM website and the Friends Facebook page.