10 Writing Prompts for May
Mamas, May is our month. Literally, we get a whole day dedicated to us this month. Take advantage of people wanting to spoil you by asking for some time to yourself to simply write.
Need a little inspiration to get the pen moving? Play around with one of our May writing prompts.
1.CNF/Journal: Write about your favorite or worst Mother’s Day. What expectations do you have around Mother’s Day? How do you usually feel the day of?
2. CNF/Journal: What one thing can’t you live without right now? What’s saving you, or bringing you such joy? What if you had to give it up?
3. Fiction: Make up a story for the neighbor you always run into while walking his dog, but you don’t know anything about him.
4. Fiction: Make up a backstory for your local barista.
5. CNF/Journal: Write a Mother’s Day card to yourself about how awesome you are, how you’ve grown and what you’ve learned since becoming a mom.
6. Journal: In September, what do you hope you have to say about this summer? Write it now!
7. Fiction: Pick one of your kid’s favorite books and rewrite it from another point of view.
8. Fiction: Write the book you actually want to read at bedtime.
9. CNF/Fiction: Write a story going off the phrase, “Maybe in another life.”
10. Fiction: Write a story that stems from a favorite video game you played as a kid, or that your kids play now.
If you write something inspired by one of these prompts and share it on a blog or social media, we’d love to see your work. You can leave a link in the comments below, or tag Literary Mama on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter.